I made a fictitious radio spot for a festival. It was a pretty fun activity to do. What I did after writing the script was that I laid out the sound effects and music I was going to use. I then proceeded to mix my vocals. I used a normal 7 band EQ then a 6030 Ultimate Compression plugin and added a pitch altering plugin and threw some reverb over that. I then proceeded to lay down the music bed after vox manipulation and chopped up where I wanted the samples to play. I then lined up the music samples I wanted to use and just went back in and fine tuned some lengths and then added fades. There wasn't anything too difficult about it, but if I were to go back and change something, it'd be the fades in and out and make them crossfades instead. You can check out the spot on my Soundcloud here.
Recently I was asked to mimic a mix done my Neal Schmitt. The mix was of a song called Barely Hangin' On by Pat Buzzard. I'm not going to lie, it was a lot more difficult that I originally had imagined. The most difficult part of it was definitely replicating the same delay and tonal qualities of the drums. As an overall mix it's not too bad, but as a mimic it wasn't the greatest. Either way I'll post it up here for your listening pleasure. You can listen to the mix on m Soundcloud here.
My most recent session was with a vocalist that covered Trouble by Ray LaMontagne. Within the session we set up two AKG 414s for the stereo mic image over an acoustic guitar and the Rode NT2 for vocals.
This session went relatively smoothly with very little bumps in the road. We eventually recorded aux percussion of him hitting, sliding, and knocking on his guitar where we recorded it with the Rode NT2 as well.
With mixing, I basically made the mix as wet as possible while giving the vocalist as much presence as possible. Within the mix, I gave the vocals, guitar, and aux percussion tons of reverb to give it a very roomy sound. Then I added doubles to certain parts of the verses, and automated the master track to about 1 dB more of gain during the choruses. Then the lead/ adlibed guitar parts I added a pan delay to give a full spectrum delay sound -- more or less I did it because it sounded cool haha. Below you can find pictures of the session and the link for the final mix here.